Tuesday, October 7, 2008

STRANGER DANGER!!!








I know these pictures may be a little weird but they represent the scariest/most exciting day of my life.

So yesterday mid-morning I was hanging out at home like any good unemployed house wife does. When someone knocked on the door and rang the door bell. I typically act like I'm not home and mute the TV hoping that they will go away. Well, this person kept knocking and kept ringing the doorbell. It started to scare me a bit but I really thought they might have the wrong house. About 10 minutes later, they left. Whew, I was so glad they were gone. So then I walked into the kitchen to see that same truck was now driving through the alley. Yikes!! Why would they do that? So I call Jason to tell him what is going on. He tells me to call the police, but in the back of my mind I didn't think it was a big deal and I didn't want to bother the police (I know, I'm stupid). So I hang up with Jason and start walking to the living room when they start knocking and ringing the doorbell AGAIN!! Now I start freaking out and I call Jason again. He has already gotten in the car and was heading my way. He told me NOT to answer the door and call the police. As he was saying this I saw them leave the front porch and head to the back gate! So I ran to the back bedroom and still did not call the cops because I couldn't find my phone.
Then all of a sudden I heard a several big bangs and a crunch...THEY WERE KICKING DOWN MY BACK DOOR! I don't know what fueled me but all I know is that I was not happy that they were getting in the house and breaking down the door. So I ran down the hall and through the kitchen and started yelling "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?!?!". The guy was standing in the kitchen and he looked up at me and wide eyed said, "Umm...we have the wrong house." Then they ran away. I rushed to the front of the house to look at their car and try to get the plate numbers...but wasn't able to:(
For about 2 seconds I really thought they had the wrong house. I found my phone and immediately (and finally) called 911. When the dispatcher started asking me questions I realized that they were trying to break into the house. That's when I kind of lost it. Jason got there about 5 minutes after they had left and the cops showed up 20 minutes after that. My mom came over and stayed with me the rest of the day. I was VERY thankful she has a job that lets her leave when she needs to.
So that is the story in a nut shell and I know it might seem weird that is was also the most exciting day but it was. I had cops calling me all day to identify the car and the suspect. Then the CSI (Crime Scene Investigation) came by to fingerprint me and the place. A detective came over today to do a line up and I successfully picked out the guy that they believe to be the one who has been caught in other crimes. Detective Logan said "I hope we are able to put this guy away for a long time.". It was such a movie line but it was exciting to help find the guy.
All in all is was a very scary experience and I wouldn't want to go through it again. But if there can be a lesson to learn through all of this, it would be to ALWAYS call the cops if someone you don't know is knocking on your door for 10 minutes. Maybe even for 5 minutes.
Praise God they didn't have a gun.


They had to print me.



This is the door after the whole day was done. NO ONE is getting in the back door.

24 comments:

Jenni said...

what a scary ordeal!! so glad you are ok and you were able to scare them off!

a friend at church had the same thing happen -- she is a nurse and often works nights. about 11 am one day she woke to ringing doorbell.....looked out the peephole and didn't recognize the people, so ignored the door. then went to lay on the couch to go back to sleep. they came around the back and broke in through the kitchen - stole her purse, laptop, etc.

so, my philosophy no longer is to ignore the door -- I holler "honey can you get it?" or something just so they'll know someone is home. and lock my gates to the backyard from the front with a padlock.

yikes. again - glad you are ok!!

annalee said...

that is awful! i'm so sorry you had to experience that, but thankful you are okay. i would rather have a gobbler than that any day of the week!

Ashley said...

Whoa. Proud of your inner crazy coming out! Glad everything is okay.

Carolyn said...

Wow--that is so scary. I am so glad that you yelled at them and scared them off. Good job picking the guy out of a lineup, too. I also always ignore the doorbell, but now I will not after reading this!

Laura said...

Girl, I am so so so so sorry! I panicked reading this. Life is scary. I am glad nothing happened to you. I am glad that you still have your stuff. Ahhh the human race, why? It breaks my heart. I am just so glad that you are okay. Lots of love and hugs. See you soon.

andydawn said...

YOU ARE BRAVE!!!! So glad it turned out in YOUR FAVOR!!!! It was good to talk to you today...call Friday and we can make a plan :)

Kelby said...

He would have been put away for a long time had he done that to my house. My 9mm would have effectively ended his crime days.
Concealed hangun license is the only way to go...
Glad you're ok.

Anonymous said...

HOLYMOLY - THAT IS SCARY and unacceptable. I am just glad he left when you confronted him... and that you're okay. But, now that you've been fingerprinted, you should probably not get too out of line :)

Love you!

Kate said...

Scary! You are brave to yell at the guy. I think I would've been running out the front door!

My {Oh} My Musings said...

OMG! that is so scary!! you are so brave!!! glad you were not hurt!

Kelli said...

Holy Cow! That is crazy! I'm so glad you are okay! Way to go, Leigh Ann! Love you!

April said...

Hi Leigh,

I just stumbled across your blog by way of one of my blogging buddies...can't even recall which one now! Anyhow, I can't believe what happened to you with someone trying to break into your home! How scary that must have been! I'm glad to hear that you weren't hurt in any kind of way. I hope and pray they catch who did it!

Anyhow, just thought I'd drop by and say a quick hello! Hope you have a great day...stay safe!!

the thorntons said...

OH MY GOSH!!! That is SO scary, but what a cool story! I'm so glad you are okay!

Shanta said...

way to freak him out! How far into the episode did you think to yourself, "I can't wait to blog about this."

Shauna said...

Oh my - that is nuts! And super scary.

So sorry that you had to deal with that!

Macy said...

WOW!!! That is my worst nightmare. I always act like I am not home too, and Chad always tells me to let them know I am home, but don't want to open the door. Glad you are ok!

Laura said...

oh my gosh, Leigh Ann -- you are so BRAVE!! It was good to see you last night -- hope you had a good weekend and enjoyed the reunion.

Casey said...

Um, WOW. That's freakin' scary. But I gotta say, I'm impressed at your response. Classic!

Also, I love your blog name. In fact, I almost used it myself, except I couldn't. Because you already had. And how did I know this?

'Cause I'm a blog stalker.

Felicia said...

Holy Cow! SCARY! I worry about this kind of thing all the time and wonder if I would hide, run away or stand up to them! I hope I would be as brave as you were! I'm SO glad you are ok!

The CineManiac said...

I'm glad you're okay!!! I can't imagine what that would be like, but I think I'd probably have hidden in the back room, unless my son was home with me, then I'd have grabbed a bat and made sure he was safe.
But mainly I'm just glad nothing happened to you.

Leah (Galloway) Flores said...

I was so scared for you when I was first reading your story and then I bust out laughing. I could totally imagine you running through your house yelling and finding some weirdo there. I'm so glad you are okay! Hey, are you going to Homecoming? Hope to see you there!

Anonymous said...

Leigh Ann! That is soooo scary! I read your blog like I would a suspense novel. I'm so glad you are okay!

The Davis Daily said...

Girl are you on CRACK! I would have called the police in a heartbeat. Then again I do live in one of the top homicide citites in America. Do you have an alarm? I would totally invest in an alarm. Just like Kelby said that criminal probably wouldn't have lasted very long at our house. He would either be shot, chewed up by my psycho dogs or really stupid and not read that we have an alarm system.
However, I am very glad to hear that you are okay. Seriously invest in a handgun or alarm.

Jennifer and Kaden said...

Hey it's Jennifer Cutbirth..well used to by Reynolds. I cannot believe someone tried to break into your house..how scary!! I'm glad you're okay though. I am new to the blogging world, so searching friends.

Jennifer